Gå til innhold
  • Bli medlem

Advice Jotunheimen/Gjendesheim + TIP!

Gjest Anonymous

Anbefalte innlegg

Gjest Anonymous

Hello everybody!

Maybe it is already discussed before, but I don't understand Norwegian (I'm from Holland....); I have two questions. In two weeks I will fly to Oslo. My plans are to go hiking in Jotunheimen for two weeks (7-20 June), but I heard that it might be not very clever to go in that period (too much snow, no summer bridges). Is this true or is it possible to have a nice trip there in that period however? I would like to do a big circle (Gjendesheim-Glitterheim-to the south-back via Memuruburuburaru to starting point).

And my second question: is it possible to reach Gjendesheim in early June by bus?

Thanks!

Matthijs

And here's the tip: two years ago we did a very beautiful trip in Gran Paradiso (Italy). We walked from Bourg d'Oisans (France) to Cogne. Brilliant! For all you mountain lovers: check it.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse

Of course it is possible, but it is not the usual variant. Some people, usually germans, even walk in Jotunheimen from may on snow shoes.

Usually every high part (from 1800 meters in eastern Jotunheimen to 1100 meters in western Jotunheimen) is covered with snow at this time of the year. 2004 is a bit beyond normal in this case as most of the snow below 13-1400 meters is gone, even in the western parts. Som routes are now close to completely free of snow (Gjendesheim-Memurubu along Gjende, or Bygdin-Torfinnsbu along Bygdin.).

You must have gaiters and be prepared for longer walking times on some distances when the snowquality is poor. In some cases it might even be wise to turn around if you realize it doesn't work out.

As the conditions are now, I would say you have a good chance of a nice trip. I believe most serviced huts are closed til around 18th of June or even later som places. Glitterheim and Olavsbu as well as Gjendebu (I believe) has self service quartes accessible with a DNT key, obtainable at DNT in Oslo or for instance tourist info. Beitostølen, provided you are a member of the Tourist Association. (This you can arrange on the spot in Oslo, if you're there within regular working hours).

An alternative to trekking could be to set up a camp in sentral areas and go for interesting hikes from there. A place like Storådalen above Gjendebu ist ideal for the purpose. As the boat hasn't started traficating Gjende you will be close to alon deep within Jotunheimen, and you have at least a handful of varied and beaitful day hikes from there. (Hellstuguglacier, Svartdalspiggan, Veslådalen and Bygdin, Olavsbu, Semmeltind and Skardalseggi, Knutsholet etc.)

I believe the bus connection to Gjendesheim from Oslo via Fagernes and Beitostølen is open, but check www.jvb.no to be sure. Either they have english schedules or you should even be able to read the norwegian "rutetabell", "tidtabell", "busstider", "rutetider" or something similar.

Wish you a great hike and a pleasant stay.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Matthijs,

I would actually advice you to extend the circle when you have two weeks in Jotunheimen. Here is one classic:

Bygdin-Torfinnsbu-Gjendebu-Olavsbu-Leirvassbu-Spiterstulen-Glitterheim-Memurubu-Gjendevassbu

Possible ascents of peaks

-Knutsholstind (between Torfinnsbu and Gjendebu)

-Kyrkja (Leirvassbu)

-Galdhøpiggen (Spiterstulen) -highes peak in Norway

-Glittertind (Glitterheim) - second highest peak in Norway

The first two ones requires some scrambling, while the two others are fairly straigtforward.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I've looked at the timetables at www.jvb.no and it seems like the bus connection directly from Oslo to Gjendesheim first starts to run on the 19th of june. Before this date, only Oslo-Beitostølen is operated (Beitostølen is approx. 35km south of Gjendesheim)

Here is the link to the timetable of "Valdresekspressen":

http://www.jvb.no/ruter/vxp/vxp-beitost.htm

(Note the remark "m", "j" and "r")

Valdressekspressen does also have a connection to Tyin/Årdal, which might be interesting for you:

http://www.jvb.no/ruter/vxp/vxp-sogn.htm

From Tyin you could walk to Fondsbu/Eidsbugarden (road) and then further into Jotunheimen. From Årdal you could walk up to Skogadalsbøen (it's situated in the western part) and then go towards Olavsbu/eastern part of Jotunheimen. There might be a problem regarding the snowconditions, so please seek some more info before you try this suggestion.

This webcam should give you an idea of the snow conditions in Jotunheimen at present:

http://www.jvb.no/jvbcam.shtml

(It is situated at Eidsbugarden)

I'm not to familiar with other transportation in the area. Perhaps Morten has got some more information?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

You could also take the bus to Tyin, from there you have a nice days walk on the western side of Tyin in the direction of Eidsbugarden, and by the time you're done, the busservice out of Gjendesheim is operating. JVB is also operating the busservice to Årdal from Oslo, passing by Tyin.

www.ottadalen.no or ottadalenbilag is the coach company operating Otta and upwards, maybe they have a service in the direction of Galdesand. From there you can walk some 15 kms in the direction of Spiterstulen, or have luck and get lift somewhere along the road.?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hello everybody!

And here's the tip: two years ago we did a very beautiful trip in Gran Paradiso (Italy). We walked from Bourg d'Oisans (France) to Cogne. Brilliant! For all you mountain lovers: check it.

Funny coincidence. I will (rather, hope to) start this year's trip in

Bourg d'Oisans around June 15,

walk through the Ecrins and the Queyras

then over to Italy and the Valli di Lanzo. If conditions are good

(there is still a lot of snow in the Alps!) I might continue even past

Noasca into the Grand Paradiso National Park. But that's quite

a trip, over three weeks I guess.

How long did yours last?

il C.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hei Matthijs,

Vertrouw misschien de sites over busverbindingen op Internet niet te veel. Twee jaar geleden bleek dat de bus van Oslo via Fagernes naar Gjendesheim alleen ging op vrijdag. Puur toeval dat ik juist op vrijdag aankwam. Ik hoorde van andere dat ze samen een taxi hadden moeten nemen het laaste stuk vanaf Beitostølen naar Gjendesheim (zie kaart). Stuur eventueel voor de zekerheid een fax of mail of bel (als niemand hier op Fjellforum het exacte antwoord weet) met busmaatschappij om te checken.

De tips voor wandelingen zijn zeker OK. Let wel op dat de topbeklimmingen - vooral van Store Knutsholtind en in iets mindere mate Kyrkja - vrij pittig zijn als je geen bergwandelingen zonder gemarkeerde paden gewend bent. Zeker in juni met sneeuw. Kan gevaarlijk glad worden. Glittertind is een wandeling zonder problemen: alleen vrij lang.

Als je meer zou willen weten kun je mij altijd hier vragen of via een directe mail. Ik ben Noor, maar woon al 18 jaar in Nederland. Overigens heeft de site hiernaast - Etojm.com - waar je naar door kunt 'klikken', ook een duitstalige versie met veel relevante informatie.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Kjell-Erik

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Bli med i samtalen

Du kan publisere innhold nå og registrere deg senere. Hvis du har en konto, logg inn nå for å poste med kontoen din.

Gjest
Skriv svar til emnet...

×   Du har limt inn tekst med formatering.   Gjenopprett formatering

Du kan kun bruke opp til 75 smilefjes.

×   Lenken din har blitt bygget inn på siden automatisk.   Vis som en ordinær lenke i stedet

×   Tidligere tekst har blitt gjenopprettet.   Tøm tekstverktøy

×   Du kan ikke lime inn bilder direkte. Last opp eller legg inn bilder fra URL.

• Opprett ny...

Viktig informasjon

Ved å bruke dette nettstedet godtar du våre Bruksvilkår. Du finner våre Personvernvilkår regler her.