Gå til innhold
  • Bli medlem

Where to buy gas canister during Easter holiday

Anbefalte innlegg

Skrevet (endret)

I arrive in Finse on Friday 29th March 2024 to begin a crossing of the Hardangervidda from Finse to Haukeliseter.  My problem is that, because I arrive in Oslo when all the shops are closed because of Easter, I will not be able to purchase gas canisters for my MSR stove.  Ideally, I am looking for 3x 227g MSR Isopro canisters or similar make which is compatible with my stove.  My plan is to start skiing from about 2 p.m. on the 29th.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can get gas in Oslo or Finse?  Thanks in anticipation.

Endret av Tessatroll
Lite beskrivande tittel
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse

The Norwegian post office has package boxes which can be accessed 24/7 stationed in different locations, I'm sure there are a few in Oslo. It should be possible to order the gas from a Norwegian web store such as Fjellsport.no or Milrab.no and have it arrive in a package box so it's possible to pick it up even on Friday the 29th.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

jaknudsen skrev (35 minutter siden):

The DNT Finsehytta will very likely have gas canisters for sale. Check with them beforehand to be sure. https://www.dnt.no/hytter/betjente/finsehytta/english/

A good bet, however this is from this page: https://www.dnt.no/hytter/betjente/finsehytta/english/about-finsehytta/meals/

"We have a small shop in our reception. We can offer candies, fruits, cake, yogurt, drinks etc. and some outdoor articles. We do not sell groceries or fuel /camping gas."

Another, bit harder to accomplish alternative:

Sport 1 in Geilo (3 stops before Finse and just 3 minutes walk from Geilo station) historically looks to have been open on Langfredag (29th March this year). They definitely have camping gas, but if you take this detour I would call  beforehand to be sure :D. I have at least bought liquid fuel there before for my stove. You will need to wait for the next train to Finse at Geilo station if you go with this option.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• Tessatroll endret tittelen til Where to buy gas canister during Easter holiday
Gabs88 skrev (2 timer siden):

The Norwegian post office has package boxes which can be accessed 24/7 stationed in different locations, I'm sure there are a few in Oslo. It should be possible to order the gas from a Norwegian web store such as Fjellsport.no or Milrab.no and have it arrive in a package box so it's possible to pick it up even on Friday the 29th.

Don't you need a Norwegian cell phone number to use these apps?

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Skrevet (endret)
7 minutes ago, ryback said:

Don't you need a Norwegian cell phone number to use these apps?

I was wondering about the same but I checked this page: https://www.posten.no/kundeservice/pakkeboks-hjelp

And I can't see anything about needing a Norwegian number to use them? Just says phone number. But you could be correct.

In that case there's supposedly also a post office at Finse Stasjon?

But there seems to be some limitations there too..

image.png.33cc94645bbdfcbb180b0688836bb450.png

Maybe you could call that number and ask about 2PM on Friday 29th.

Endret av Gabs88
  • Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

2 minutes ago, ryback said:

I checked the app now. It supports country codes +45, +46 and +47

I guess checking the telephone number above would be worth a try then. +47 46954143 is the hotline for Finse Station Post Office. Could be worth calling to check if someone can pick up a package on the 29th or not.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

If you are spending the night at a hotel in Oslo you can ask them if it's OK to order some gas online and have it shipped to the hotel. Or you could ask Finse hotel if you can ship to them if they don't sell it.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gabs88 skrev (39 minutter siden):

Also, a lot of petrol stations sell small gas canisters. Not all of them but it's also not uncommon. So if you call around you should be able to find some.

Yes, that is correct. I think this is the best option.

Or maybe bring a liquid fuel stove, if you have one. Than you can get kerosene (or «tennvæske», for lighting the grill/barbeque), or petrol, at any gas station.

In the case of petrol, buy 4-stroke alkylate petrol, as it is safer for your health.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

6 hours ago, ryback said:

If you are spending the night at a hotel in Oslo you can ask them if it's OK to order some gas online and have it shipped to the hotel. Or you could ask Finse hotel if you can ship to them if they don't sell it.

Thank for the suggestion.  I am staying at the Anker Hostel in Oslo.  I contacted them but they cannot take delivery of gas because of health and safety with a potentially explosive canister.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

4 hours ago, Gabs88 said:

Also, a lot of petrol stations sell small gas canisters. Not all of them but it's also not uncommon. So if you call around you should be able to find some.

Thanks for your reply.  This is what I did last time I made this trip.  I struck it lucky with the first gas station that I visited.  My concern this time around is whether or not the gas stations will be open 24/24 on Thursday 28th March when all the shops are closing for Easter?  Do you know if gas stations are open as normal?  thanks.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Philippe Jumeau skrev (2 minutter siden):

My concern this time around is whether or not the gas stations will be open 24/24 on Thursday 28th March when all the shops are closing for Easter?  Do you know if gas stations are open as normal?  thanks.

Gas stations are usually open every day, also during easter. Especially near cities.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

22 minutes ago, Philippe Jumeau said:

Thanks for your reply.  This is what I did last time I made this trip.  I struck it lucky with the first gas station that I visited.  My concern this time around is whether or not the gas stations will be open 24/24 on Thursday 28th March when all the shops are closing for Easter?  Do you know if gas stations are open as normal?  thanks.

It's not all that difficult to find phone numbers for specific stations and ask them.

You can even ask them to put aside a couple of canisters so they don't run out

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Skrevet (endret)

Too bad you told the hotel what you wanted to ship to them...

There aren't many gas stations the central parts of Oslo. The closest one to Anker Hotel is Esso, at Trondheimsveien 61. Then Shell at Trondheimsveien 184 and CirkleK at Uelands gate 55.

Beware, some stations (not the ones above) are unmanned and have no attached stores.

Endret av ryback
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

If I remember to do it I can pop by Circle K at Økern sometime the coming week. Its a large station always open. 14 min on the subway from Oslo Central Station. They should have it, if anyone. I wouldn't have too high hopes for the few gas stations in the more central areas.

• Liker 3
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

On 3/7/2024 at 11:21 AM, sneakyowl said:
On 3/7/2024 at 10:33 AM, jaknudsen said:

The DNT Finsehytta will very likely have gas canisters for sale. Check with them beforehand to be sure. https://www.dnt.no/hytter/betjente/finsehytta/english/

A good bet, however this is from this page: https://www.dnt.no/hytter/betjente/finsehytta/english/about-finsehytta/meals/

"We have a small shop in our reception. We can offer candies, fruits, cake, yogurt, drinks etc. and some outdoor articles. We do not sell groceries or fuel /camping gas."

In spite of this very clear statement on their website (probably due to fire regulations or house insurance), I would suggest that the OP should phone Finsehytta anyhow and ask them if they have any canisters. Likewise, as already suggested, he could try the hotel at Finse railway station (Finse 1222 – which is the name of the hotel, not the phone number!).

Quite a few people from outside Norway hand in their gas cartridges in the huts at the end of their tour, as they can’t take them on the aeroplane. I’ve done this myself many times and often handed in an unused cartridge (I carry a stove for emergency only and rarely use the fuel).

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

26 minutes ago, sneakyowl said:

Look what I found @Finsehytta today:

That’s exactly why I suggested above that the OP should phone Finse and ask. The fact that your picture shows just one single sealed Primus cartridge and one unsealed Coleman’s seems to suggest that they don’t “officially” stock these items. It never hurts to ask!

• Liker 2
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I rang yesterday and they tell me that they have plenty of gas available and they will be opened on Friday 29th March. I will still look for gas in Oslo as a back up, because my trip will be compromised if I don’t have gas and I am a little paranoid!  

• Liker 2
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Bli med i samtalen

Du kan publisere innhold nå og registrere deg senere. Hvis du har en konto, logg inn nå for å poste med kontoen din.

Gjest
Skriv svar til emnet...

×   Du har limt inn tekst med formatering.   Gjenopprett formatering

Du kan kun bruke opp til 75 smilefjes.

×   Lenken din har blitt bygget inn på siden automatisk.   Vis som en ordinær lenke i stedet

×   Tidligere tekst har blitt gjenopprettet.   Tøm tekstverktøy

×   Du kan ikke lime inn bilder direkte. Last opp eller legg inn bilder fra URL.

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig informasjon

Ved å bruke dette nettstedet godtar du våre Bruksvilkår. Du finner våre Personvernvilkår regler her.