Gå til innhold
  • Bli medlem

Voile Switchback with Crispi Svartisen on Fisher E109

Paddy

Anbefalte innlegg

Hello everybody,

I have a pair of 109's with Voiles 3 pin traverse. I am not using the cable much. Mainly finding my own trails, creating my own track. I am fairly happy with combination but the flexing in the boot / foot gives me issues with my toes. I also believe there is quite some energy lost during the flexing. Therefore I am looking at the Voile Switchback, in touring mode it seems a similar movement to a BC binding.

Anyone tried the Voile Switchback with Crispi Svartisen? Is this working with the fairly soft sole and the size of the duckbill? Does it give more comfort than a 3 pin binding? Any disadvantages (apart form the weight and price)?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse

I have the Voilé Switchback binding, but not on an E 109. I also use the E 109, but not with Switchback.

It's always difficult to offer advice when one knows nothing about the user or the intended usage of the equipment. However, the Fischer E 109 is basically a slightly wider and (usually) a somewhat softer-cambered version of the classic fjellski (Åsnes Rago/Amundsen, Fischer E 99, Madshus Glittertind, etc.) and is therefore designed for similar usage (i.e. covering long distances in mostly mountainous terrain). Its softer camber makes it somewhat easier to control downhill than the classic skis and also allows the edges better grip when traversing icy slopes. I suspect you would not be happy doing 6 to 8 hour day-tours covering 25km or more of mountain in the switchback binding - but I might be wrong on that!

Reading your post, I get the impression that the problem lies more with the boot than the binding and I would therefore recommend that you have a look at this first before taking the (rather drastic) measure of mounting Switchbacks on the E 109. There are some boots in the 75mm norm which are reputed to have softer soles than the Svartisen (such as the Alpina Alaska 75). My advice would be to take your existing boots to a dealer with a selection of 75mm boots (if you have the opportunity to do this) and try some models side-by-side with your own boots (i.e. a different boot on each foot). You might then find that the problems you are having with flexing, or the pinching of your toes, are less perceptible in another boot.

• Liker 2
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi John, 

Thanks for your reply. Whn you say: "I suspect you would not be happy doing 6 to 8 hour day-tours covering 25km or more of mountain in the switchback binding". Is that due to the weight or another reason? I thought the touring mode would simulate a BNC pivot and therefore it would be easier. 

Would love to hear your thoughts

Thanks

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Primarily, yes, due to the weight. For pure nordic touring it's a clumsy and rather heavy solution, heavier even than all the Dynafit-type pin-based alpine touring bindings. It's more suited to alpine-type skis used for telemark or for hybrid nordic/alpine skis, but not for long all-day or multi-day nordic tours.

I do most of my nordic touring in Norway (which is why I'm on this forum) and I only rarely see them among the dozens of skis parked outside the mountain cabins. One exception to this was once seeing about 10 of them on hybrid skis outside the Fondsbu cabin. Further inquiries revealed that they did not belong to Norwegian skiers, but to a group of French who were using the cabin as a base for short day-tours in the vicinity. For this kind of use they can be recommended, as the free-pivot system allows as much free forward movement as an alpine touring binding and the cable/rod offers good control for the descents - but then so does any good cable binding, such as the Rottefella 75mm Cable, at much less weight (if you can find a way to "park" the cable/lever when not needed, as the rods don't come off as easily as the Voilé Traverse).

However, the NNN BC system gives you free-pivot at a fraction of the weight of a Switchback and it is this system, or the 3-pin 75mm with or without cable, which is most often seen with the Fischer E 109 and skis of a similar category.

I believe that, for nordic touring, the fit of the boot is more important than the boot/binding system, so if you can't find a satisfactory boot in 75mm-norm, then look at NNN BC boots where you will find a much larger choice and are more likely to find a boot that fits and which doesn't pinch your toes.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...

Which toe issues do you get?

I'm touring also with Voile Traverse (Ingstad old model), and Tind 76 with Voile 3pin (+20mm plates). And Svartisen boot. I also make my own tracks, and have one some occations exceeded the 50km mark on one day. My biggest problen have been running out of water..

The thing stealing energy, are the glide/traction, and how far down in the snow you sink (how far you glide on each kick). Not the boot/binding flex.

Which level do you press the front lever down to on the binding? When walking you can easily use the first step, then the boot is fairly loose, but won't fell off. However it will wear a little harder on the pin holes. The number 2 step is fine, the boot is still fairly loose. This is what I use. I only push it fully down when going downhill (and release again when getting down). Sometimes I combines it with the wire.

I lace the boots tight when walking, and only attach the plastic straps loose together. I thighten the steaps only sometimes when going downhill (not always), and loosen again when down.

I also have a pair of skis whit Switchback, however I have not tried those with Svartisen, but I can imagine it will feel a little "strange" in flat terrain since there are no flex resistance.

I prefer Voile 3pin over Rottefella Super Telemark with wire. The inner hooks for the wire sometimes hooks together between the skis on the Rottefella.

I will try the Rottefella Explore with Alpina Alaska this season. This is to see if I can avoid the blisters I get using NNN BC (which I hardly use because of that).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

56 minutes ago, Omnilite said:

I will try the Rottefella Explore with Alpina Alaska this season. This is to see if I can avoid the blisters I get using NNN BC (which I hardly use because of that).

Blisters should be no reason to give up on a boot/binding system. Two questions:

1. Do you tape your heels?
  2. Have you tried eZeefit ankle socks?

The ankle socks are available in 3 different thicknesses, namely 2mm (standard), 3mm and "Ultrathin" (ca. 1mm) and they will fill up any slack between your heel and the boot. If you want to be 100% sure you can tape your heels as well (tape heels first, then eZeefit on top, then your normal socks), and you will soon forget what it was like to have heel blisters.

https://www.ezeefitsports.com/default.asp

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Bli med i samtalen

Du kan publisere innhold nå og registrere deg senere. Hvis du har en konto, logg inn nå for å poste med kontoen din.

Gjest
Skriv svar til emnet...

×   Du har limt inn tekst med formatering.   Gjenopprett formatering

Du kan kun bruke opp til 75 smilefjes.

×   Lenken din har blitt bygget inn på siden automatisk.   Vis som en ordinær lenke i stedet

×   Tidligere tekst har blitt gjenopprettet.   Tøm tekstverktøy

×   Du kan ikke lime inn bilder direkte. Last opp eller legg inn bilder fra URL.

• Opprett ny...

Viktig informasjon

Ved å bruke dette nettstedet godtar du våre Bruksvilkår. Du finner våre Personvernvilkår regler her.