Gå til innhold
  • Bli medlem

Hiking in Jotunheimen

Stephen Mac

Anbefalte innlegg

Hello again. Well it seems I have fallen for Norway. Normally I head to the Alps in late summer but this year I'm  heading back here for a second time this summer. I am arriving August 30th and staying for a week. I will go to the Jotunheimen area this time and I'm looking for advice. I'm hoping to get some peaks done as well as hiking and I'm wondering if crampons AND axe are necessary?. Also I'm thinking of using Lom as my starting point and I will need to get some primus gas (or similar) for my stove. Can I buy that there?. Many thanks

Stephen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse
1 time siden, Stephen Mac skrev:

Hello again. Well it seems I have fallen for Norway. Normally I head to the Alps in late summer but this year I'm  heading back here for a second time this summer. I am arriving August 30th and staying for a week. I will go to the Jotunheimen area this time and I'm looking for advice. I'm hoping to get some peaks done as well as hiking and I'm wondering if crampons AND axe are necessary?. Also I'm thinking of using Lom as my starting point and I will need to get some primus gas (or similar) for my stove. Can I buy that there?. Many thanks

Stephen

Hi 

Lom is well assorted when it comes to outdoorequipment, with several outdoor/sportsshops, so gas will not be a problem unless you have a stove that uses gascanisters that you "puncture" (poorly explained but cannot find the correct word). 

I guess though that if you make som phonecalls you might find out about this, considering Lom is a popular destinations for tourists with different stoves, you might be able to find gascaninsters with different kinds of connections.

Depending on what kind of mountaineering/peaks you are thinking of, ice axe and crampons might be a good idea, but you will also be able to find hikes which do not require this.

I suggest you visit the Norwegian Trekking associations website, and use their map, theres is loads of tips for your stay in Jotunheimen.

www.ut.no

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

1 minutt siden, Stephen Mac skrev:

Thanks for the reply. The gas canister is the normal screw in one so hopefully it will be fine. I'll bring the axe and crampons. Now all I need is good :-Dweather

Ok, then gas will not be a problem :)

Are you travelling alone? In case you are, it is good to know that some hikes have daily guided tours crossing glaciers. (Just so you dont rool out the peaks that require glaciertravelling.)

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Just now, Tessatroll said:

Ok, then gas will not be a problem :)

Are you travelling alone? In case you are, it is good to know that some hikes have daily guided tours crossing glaciers. (Just so you dont rool out the peaks that require glaciertravelling.)

Thanks for that. I will be alone but I'm a pretty experienced mountaineer so hopefully will be fine. If the glaciers are dry travelling on them will be okay. I will assess when I see them.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

1 minutt siden, Stephen Mac skrev:

Thanks for that. I will be alone but I'm a pretty experienced mountaineer so hopefully will be fine. If the glaciers are dry travelling on them will be okay. I will assess when I see them.

I came from Jotunheimen 2 days ago, still a lot of snow on most of the glaciers, and i guess on all of them if part of a hike to some peak.

But this can change rapidly if a warmer weathertype comes along, so no one knows. But as you say, if you are experienced you assess this yourself. 

Have a nice stay :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Bli med i samtalen

Du kan publisere innhold nå og registrere deg senere. Hvis du har en konto, logg inn nå for å poste med kontoen din.

Gjest
Skriv svar til emnet...

×   Du har limt inn tekst med formatering.   Gjenopprett formatering

Du kan kun bruke opp til 75 smilefjes.

×   Lenken din har blitt bygget inn på siden automatisk.   Vis som en ordinær lenke i stedet

×   Tidligere tekst har blitt gjenopprettet.   Tøm tekstverktøy

×   Du kan ikke lime inn bilder direkte. Last opp eller legg inn bilder fra URL.

• Opprett ny...

Viktig informasjon

Ved å bruke dette nettstedet godtar du våre Bruksvilkår. Du finner våre Personvernvilkår regler her.