Gå til innhold
  • Bli medlem

Hiking in May

Fouad Assaf

Anbefalte innlegg

Hello,

I am going to norway from the 17th until the 26th of may. On the 17th, I would definitely stay in Oslo since it is the national day (unless you recommend me to go to somewhere else :)). 

My main purpose is to see as much nature as I can. I tried to check the hikes on Glaciers, but it looks like it is too early to do that :(

Is that true? There is no place or no way to have a nice hike on a glacier in May? 

Your help is highly appreciated, and even if you have other recommendations, please fell free to help me :)

Many thanks!

Fouad

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse

You can get snow in Oslo on May 17th (or 30 degrees celsius), so yeah, there will be a lot of snow in the mountains around that time.

To get an idea of how the higher mountains in Norway will be in May, look at this picture from Jotunheimen in June:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ystenes/3633379313/

You might be able to go up to some of the lower mountains like Bletoppen (blefjell) or Høgevarde (norefjell), but I would be expecting some snow at the peak.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I suppose you don´t want to go skiing? What about snowshoeing? Then you have a lot more options. 

You may bring snowshoes or pick up a pair at a sportsstore in Oslo, like XXL (www.xxl.no). Norwegian word for snowshoe is "truger", you may search for that on xxl.no. 

I have walked with snowshoes for about 3 weeks in april/may, and I was hiking with the cheapest type with a heavy backpack. I was surprised at how well that went. But you must not plan for long distances as you never really know what the snow is going to be like at that time of year. 

The good thing about snowshoes is that once you get to bare ground you just strap them at you pack. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

hello guys, thanks a lot for all this information, it is very useful...
any nice hikes you can also recommend at that time of the year (17th of may -> 26th of may)?

the only problem i am facing now is that there are a very limited choice in the hostels, and it is very expensive! any ideas??

thanks a lot,

Fouad

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi.

In some years, at the end of May, you can indeed hike on ski's or snowshoes in the mountains. But if it get's warm early in the year, you risk ending up in the snow melting period, which means the snow can be extremely wet with water under it and rivers can become impossible to cross. Here: http://www.yr.no/verkart/ski/ you can see an updated map of what kind of snow there is (dry, wet or little snow). You might be OK in the highest mountain area, like Jotunheimen, but no garanties. Maybe you should ask again a week ahead to see if someone can give you up to date information about an area.

When I think of hiking in May, I think of the local forest, e.g. the forest around Oslo. I know that this can also be a bit wet on some paths, but you can find good and dry camping places in May. I also think of coastal paths. Many communities in the Oslo fjord and along the south coast have a coastal path. Usually not very remote, but you will meet nice views on your way.

About overnight, why don't you go camping in a small tent? In the forest or in the mountains it is for free. You can also have a look on the couch surfing website. When you choose to visit the mountains, you cannot count on the mountain huts to be opened in that time of the year. You should check that ahead on www.ut.no.

The 17th of May is interesting to see in Oslo. Mind that the morning is the part of the day when things happen. From about 13:00 everyone goes home to visit each other and the city center will be near empty. People in the city will be dressed up in their best clothes and might make you feel a bit under dressed... 

It is nice and quiet in the forest that day, is my experience. ;-)

Good luck.

Linda

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

thanks a lot Linda!

any ideas about the hikes in PREIKESTOLHYTTA or in KJERAG

Thanks

Fouad

It is normaly possible to walk to Prekestolen in may. It is a 3 to 5 hours walk.

On the other hand, Kjerag is at 1000 m, and there are snow to june.

You can normaly walk to the lower huts in the DNT system in this part of Norway in the end of may.

Sjekk DNT.no or ut.no.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Bli med i samtalen

Du kan publisere innhold nå og registrere deg senere. Hvis du har en konto, logg inn nå for å poste med kontoen din.

Gjest
Skriv svar til emnet...

×   Du har limt inn tekst med formatering.   Gjenopprett formatering

Du kan kun bruke opp til 75 smilefjes.

×   Lenken din har blitt bygget inn på siden automatisk.   Vis som en ordinær lenke i stedet

×   Tidligere tekst har blitt gjenopprettet.   Tøm tekstverktøy

×   Du kan ikke lime inn bilder direkte. Last opp eller legg inn bilder fra URL.

• Opprett ny...

Viktig informasjon

Ved å bruke dette nettstedet godtar du våre Bruksvilkår. Du finner våre Personvernvilkår regler her.