Gå til innhold
  • Bli medlem

Jostedalsbreen in summer

ye.sapr

Anbefalte innlegg

We are planning a trip to Jostedalsbreen area in last decade of july. I want to ask - is it good idea to try to cross the glacier somewhere? As I have seen from photos, upper part of glacier remains closed by snow all the summer. But I dont know what is the condition of snow. Some of us have experience of snowy glaciers, some not, but all of us know how to deal with equipment and how to get out from crevasses. We just dont want to do this too often :-)

Can you advice relatively "safe" routes through the Glacier in the end of july?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Annonse

Hi,

I did some years ago a crossing from Fjearlandshytta to Bodalen in mid July. Beside a few smaller crevasses at the lower parts of the glaciers there was no big problem.

We got about 50cm of new snow and I would recommend to use Ski or Snowshoes as it will be hard to cross on foot in such conditions. A tricky thing is always to cross

Smattene further north as this steep glacier tongue is heavily crevassed and might be hard to cross in summer. In any case you should bring rescue equipment.

Best regards,

cosynook

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
  • 3 uker senere...

Thank you for answers.

Last week I made some more efforts in learning exciting Jostedalsbreen geography, and understood that Lodalskopa is "must see". From all that I've read, Brattebakken is the best place to enter the glacier.

But, it is also interesting for me to descend from the glacies some other way. What about DNT route to Kjendalen? Maybe, anybody has such experience?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The route up Ruteflotdalen to the glacier is one of the most difficult. Very steep and I recomend to use a guide.

The easiest routs crossing over in summer is from Lunde in Jølster to Bøyadalen in Fjærland, and from Vetledalseter in Oppstryn to Slæom in Skjåk.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you, Bregal. I understand your idea, it is not good to advice hard route to a person with unknown experience. Most of our group have experience of different mountains - Caucasus, Tien-Shan, trips and alpine routes in smaller mountains like Carpatheans and Crimea. However, half of us have no glacier experience.

Nesdalen is very attractive because of its wilderness.So, if you please, tell me in more detail, what is the difficulty of the route?

Is any equipment needed? Or problem can be in orienteering?

Do guys on this photo follow this route?

http://www.sunnmorealps.com/alps/bilder/vidaregaaende_brekurs99.html

Or maybe, a route to the south of Nonsibba is more straightforward?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

hey again. The difficulty is the orienteering and loose rock from the end of the valley to the top at the glacier.

Very few people use the route, still it is one of the most interesting both natural and historical.

I have tried to copy the description from "Breføreren" (Glacier guide) into english.

1.3.2 Nesdal-RUTEFLOTDALEN-RUTEFLOTBREEN

After this is arguably the coolest and most impressive rise to the glacier. It was formerly a widely used route, but after the glacier retreated and made the recovery more difficult, and after people moved from Nesdal, there are few who use it. The ascent from Ruteflotdalen can be difficult and not to be in bad weather. There is no bridge over the strait during Ramnefjell and detour on Feel the valley is long and crooked, so there should be agreement on the boat to / from Nesdal.

From Nesdal setersti leads up through the forest to Ruteflotdalen. On the trail into the valley through lush dense forest past the front of Ruteflotsetrene Mountain farms, which is somewhat out of the river. Here are several seal surrounded by dense vegetation. Especially when coming from the glacier, it is easy to pass Ruteflotsetra and instead get into the dense bush. Setra is because of a pronounced shoulder to the right up the valley, ca. 30-40 meters above the valley floor. Eventually, the trail disappears and it pays to take out on the river bank where it is easier to walk. Well within 3 km Ruteflotsetra the valley narrowed, and you are forced somewhat from the river, which here runs in a ravine. Through rough watch on the shelves on the east side a little bit up from the river and past a hammer into the very bottom.

Inside the impressive bottom with Ruteflotbreen opposite one takes up steeply to the northeast through an area with very loose gravel from an old lateral moraine up to a grassy field in the 1000 m elevation. It turns Mon. to the southeast and continues slightly uphill over steep moss-and grass-covered slopes, which can be slippery. Asking the path. A cairn marks the direction. At approx. 1060 m pass on the lower side of a large stone, with a cairn. In approx. 1150 m altitude is more Mon straight up to the east and have a steep cliff to the left. Under the rock face uphill until you reach a creek ravine. Across the canyon and steep up some hammers to a small plateau north of a small lake. From here, turn south onto the glacier for about. 1470 m elevation.

If you go down this route, it is important to find the small lake and a cairn which marks the decline.

This is a fantastic rise in a very wild nature, but it can be difficult and not to be in bad weather.

Transition to fence in the glacier or Flatsteinbu in Olden.

Not winter schedule!

Map: 1418 Lodalskåpa IV, BrigsdalsbreenAngre redigeringene

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I worked in Fjærland for a while, and suggest you hire a guide (although it is expensive in Norway). However if you split it between several people, it's likely 'over-comeable'. Likely you'll get a better idea by contacting the norwegian mountain guides association (for the highest quality, this website should have a list ...http://www.ivbv.info/ of associate members in norway.) Norwegian mountain guides who have attained IFMGA are here...http://www.nortind.no/index.php?lang=en..

Note I'm not a mountaineer or guide!! Was just a chef at the old hotel there many years back (hotel Mundal)..but like many on this forum I've an interest in the outdoors...wish you the best on your trip..surfing here i australia at the moment...! bit cold in the water tho' :cool:

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Bregal, thank you for translation! I have a problem interpreting word "hammer" which is the same in english and norwegian. But maybe in norwegian, unlike english, it has several different meanings?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Kjenndalen-Tjuvskåra is steep and interesting too....Much vegitation and few alternatives up.... I went down Tjuvskåra three years ago starting from Bødalseter, up Brattbakken, crossing the glacier, and then down Tjuvskåra to Kjenndalen.

Se description from Breføreren (tranlated via Google - not very good translation :-().

In earlier times was a much-used route across the glacier from Krundalen up Tufte Breen (Tverbreden on the old amtskartet), and down Tjuvskåra to Kjenndalen. The name Tjuvskåra belongs to a story about a girl from Loen, who had served in Jostedalen for 12 years, for one dollars a year, was pursued by a stranger found when she was home. Service The girl saw that the stranger was looking for her money, and hurried everything she could. But found caught up with her when she came into Kjenndalen, killed her and stole money.

The route up a false chimney, former starting point and went winding up the hill from the previous restaurant in Kjenndalen, taken by a large avalanche winter of 1990. In the summer of 2000, however, partially cleared a new route from the valley floor and up to the thieves shoes. This route starts at the bridge over the river from Kjenndalsbreen 300 meters in the old restaurant site, and is going straight up along a ridge to the right of the stream that comes down just before the bridge. The back end of a small hammer beside a waterfall, and from here it was the summer of 2000 cleared a route. This will take first right onto a hammer to crack and a small tree, then briefly to the left and then right again along a long hammer. Next turn is just above the big hammer with a view (height approx. 300 m), and the path goes from here to the left for a new hammer with white spots. From here to right, first a little narrow, but then a broad shelf up to approx. 440 m to the left and then up into the real thief chimney (height approx. 470 m).

Shoe thief is a pronounced sloping shelf on the hillside with a gentle slope almost 1 km in the direction Kjenndalskruna. Both above and below the shelf is the high and steep hammers, but the shelf is relatively straightforward to follow. At the end of a false chimney, there is a hammer with a little water (about 760 m asl), where there are great views of the valley and the Know Nesdal.

From this viewpoint, the same direction until you come and rock back and look at Krunebreen glacier. From Mon swings left and follow the ridge uphill. On the south side of the ridge is partly grassy and relatively easy to walk, while at the Loen-side is steep hammers and rocks. In 1340 m altitude, there is a clear top with small lakes, from the ridge marked loosened. One enters on the glacier at the height of 1512 north of Krunebreen glacier (stolen Gap).

On the way down, it is important to stay on Krun side of the ridge and not try to go out into Choir before a thief is down the hill with a view point (approx. 800 m). One must also make sure to turn left once you come out of the narrow chimney thief, to be able to follow the selection down to the bridge in Kjenndalen.

Transition to Fåbergstølsbreen or Bødal seats.

Not the winter schedule.

Map: 1418 Lodalskåpa IV, Luster 1418 III

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...

Hello again! I have new interesting idea. Kjenndalstova - Nesdalen - Vesledalen - Gjerdaaksla. No route description available from Nesdalen and farther, but I feel it can be possible. But some questions occur.

- Is it good idea to cross Kjenndalselva at its delta, by the coast of Lovatnet?

- Is it possible to go by the left bank of Kjenndalselva, opposite from the road, down from the bridge near Krunefossen?

- Is it possible to cross Utigardselva somewhere near Utigardsetra? Unfortunately, no photos of Nesdalen available, so I have no idea, what is the river like.

- Does it make sense to cross these rivers early in the morning, when melting of the glaciers is minimal (in July)?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hei, the best way til get ti Nesdal is using boat from Bødal or Kjenndalsstova restaurant directly to Nesdal. Kjenndalselva is big and the landscape difficult.

There was a bridge across tihe river by Utigardssetra som years ago. You must ask the people at Nesdal when you leave there....

They also propably can tell you about the route up the mountain.

Regards Bregal

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Do any people stay at Nesdal regularly? I thought, it is abandoned, isn't it?

Maybe, there are functioning summer hotels or huts there?

If so, I can hope that a trail to Nesdalen is sometimes used and not overgrown.

Is the boat service regular at Kjenndalsstova?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...

Thanks, Lindap, very useful site.

Now I'm looking at snow depth near Lodalskapa, and it shows that snow begins near Bodalssetter, and that it is above two meters of snow near Kopevatnet.

Can it be true? I'm a little bit confused.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Bli med i samtalen

Du kan publisere innhold nå og registrere deg senere. Hvis du har en konto, logg inn nå for å poste med kontoen din.

Gjest
Skriv svar til emnet...

×   Du har limt inn tekst med formatering.   Gjenopprett formatering

Du kan kun bruke opp til 75 smilefjes.

×   Lenken din har blitt bygget inn på siden automatisk.   Vis som en ordinær lenke i stedet

×   Tidligere tekst har blitt gjenopprettet.   Tøm tekstverktøy

×   Du kan ikke lime inn bilder direkte. Last opp eller legg inn bilder fra URL.

• Opprett ny...

Viktig informasjon

Ved å bruke dette nettstedet godtar du våre Bruksvilkår. Du finner våre Personvernvilkår regler her.