Gå til innhold
  • Bli medlem

Is it possible? (Glittertind without any special equipment)

Gjest Anonymous

Anbefalte innlegg

Gjest Anonymous

Hi friends,

can you help me? I want to go to Norway in August, I'll be only walking with my bag. My question is - is it possible to climb Glittertind without any special equipment? And without danger of falling into ice crack...and so...You sure know what I mean - I mean tourist or treking style...

Thank you very much for your help.

If you want, you can send me email ([email protected]).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse

Hi

If you want to walk at the top of Glittertind, you do not need special climbing or glacier equipment. The track to Glittertind is marked with red T's - both from Glitterheim and Spiterstulen, and the route is classified as "not difficult"

But when you walk in the mountains, you always need good boots for mountain walking, warm and windstopper clothes etc, and of course map and compass.

If you want to have some more information I will recommend you to take a look at The Norwegian Mountain Touring Association's web-site: www.turistforeningen.no where you will find some information in English.

If you can read German (or Norwegian), look at www.etojm.com, and you will find description of the route to Glittertind.

The mountains in Jotunheimen are beatiful, and August is the best month to take a walk on the tops.

Have a pleasent stay in Jotunheimen.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi!

You don't tell us anything about how familiar you are with the mountains. If you don't have any experience with the mountains, I will recomend you to contact the Norwegian Mountain Touring Association (as GroG says, too). I'm sure they can help you with list of equipment, clothes, descriptions of different routes to the top and other things that you will need to be prepared to the changing weather conditions you might experience. Don't be afraid to post more questions here at fjellforum.net, either. Many of the readers have years of experience from tours in the mountains, and they are very helpful, too.

The Jotunheimen mountains, that Glittertind is a part of, is a beautifull area. I'm sure you will enjoy the tour.

Wish you a pleasant journey.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Anonymous

Thanks to you all for your answers...Of course, I have some experiences with mountains (Ginat Mountains or Krkonose in Czech republic in summer and winter too - highest mountain is Snezka 1602 m), but not so much as you (I suppose). I usually go out for several days, and almost don't take a tent. I don't mind cold and rain. Often I go only myself. And, of course, I have common equipment too - good boots with Goretex and Vibram, waterproof clothes and compass too, just all the thing you usually use ouside in the nature when all depends on your own. I was only interested in difficulty of Glittertind - regarding need of axe and crampons.

One more thing - I have oportunity to buy here in Czech rep. maps from Statens Kartverk in 1:50.000 - are these maps the best? The price here is 350,- CZK (92,- NOK)...

Once again, thank you all...

Vlasta

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hello, again!

Well, as you know already it should not be necessary to use axe or crampon to climb the Glittertind. The maps from Statens Kartverk 1:50 000 are good enough, and as far as I know, the only maps for sale. From what I found on web, it also seems like you get the maps cheeper in Czech rep. than we pay for them here in Norway (I've just checked out a few web shops). The typical price here in Norway seems to be about 140,- NOK.

So, again hope you get a memorable tour to Glittertind in August, and welcome to Norway!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Anonymous

In the last years it has been essential to use crampons the last part to the summit of Glittertind especially late in the summer like august. The reason is that last winters snow melts and it is ice undeneath. Crampons can be rent in the Glitterheim hut.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Anonymous

The need for crampons vary alot. Early in the summer (till mid july) you rarely need crampons, but as the summer proceeds it turns more and more icy. There's usually a clear track which can be walked with great care without crampons even in icy conditions, but be careful. My best suggestion is to start from Glitterheim where they usually can tell you about the reigning conditions.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Bli med i samtalen

Du kan publisere innhold nå og registrere deg senere. Hvis du har en konto, logg inn nå for å poste med kontoen din.

Gjest
Skriv svar til emnet...

×   Du har limt inn tekst med formatering.   Gjenopprett formatering

Du kan kun bruke opp til 75 smilefjes.

×   Lenken din har blitt bygget inn på siden automatisk.   Vis som en ordinær lenke i stedet

×   Tidligere tekst har blitt gjenopprettet.   Tøm tekstverktøy

×   Du kan ikke lime inn bilder direkte. Last opp eller legg inn bilder fra URL.

• Opprett ny...

Viktig informasjon

Ved å bruke dette nettstedet godtar du våre Bruksvilkår. Du finner våre Personvernvilkår regler her.