Gå til innhold
  • Bli medlem

Lysefjorden Rundt this summer

Malkav

Anbefalte innlegg

Hi All!

First of all I apologize for posting in English on a Norwegian forum but I don’t speak Norwegian at all and it seems that the right people to talk to are here :)

I would like to come to Norway this summer for a solo trekking trip to go along the Lysefjorden rundt (it looks absolutely stunning) and I am trying to solve basic logistics questions. I found posts here and used google translate to get some infos but I still have a few questions.

First things first, which period would you recommend? From the yearly stats I found it seems to be a bit dryer in July vs August but the difference is not really huge.

I don’t drive so I would like to know if taking the ferry from Stavanger to Oanes sounds like a reasonable option to come close to the beginning of the path?

It seems that it is possible to do the round trip in 6/7 days which would be great since I would like to limit food and water to reduce weight. Along those lines I was thinking in taking the DNT membership to have access to some of the cabins along the way in case it is pouring rain and to take some water and food. Do you know if the “no service” DNT cabins have drinking water that I could use? Or are they simply a shelter?

Do you think it would be possible to buy some food in some of the cabins or should I take all I will need with me?

Is there something in particuler I need to be aware of?

That's about it :D

Tusen takk!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse
Hi All!

First of all I apologize for posting in English on a Norwegian forum but I don’t speak Norwegian at all and it seems that the right people to talk to are here :)

I would like to come to Norway this summer for a solo trekking trip to go along the Lysefjorden rundt (it looks absolutely stunning) and I am trying to solve basic logistics questions. I found posts here and used google translate to get some infos but I still have a few questions.

First things first, which period would you recommend? From the yearly stats I found it seems to be a bit dryer in July vs August but the difference is not really huge.

I don’t drive so I would like to know if taking the ferry from Stavanger to Oanes sounds like a reasonable option to come close to the beginning of the path?

It seems that it is possible to do the round trip in 6/7 days which would be great since I would like to limit food and water to reduce weight. Along those lines I was thinking in taking the DNT membership to have access to some of the cabins along the way in case it is pouring rain and to take some water and food. Do you know if the “no service” DNT cabins have drinking water that I could use? Or are they simply a shelter?

Do you think it would be possible to buy some food in some of the cabins or should I take all I will need with me?

Is there something in particuler I need to be aware of?

That's about it :D

Tusen takk!

1 First of all: Forgett about water. You drink from running water all over Norway.

2 The best starting point would be "Prekestolhytta" if yoy don't have a car. There are ferrry and busses regulary.

It wold still be a problem geting back to Stavanger, but...

3 As too when. Good questione, but impossible to tell. It rains all the time....

4 Stavanger Turistforening have informatione in english :http://www.stavanger-turistforening.no/

5 It is possible to buy some food in the cabines, but not all cabines have food. (All have water, in a bucket, taken from the river)

I apologize for my English....

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Takk REJOHN!

Your English is really good (at least as good as mine).

That's great to be able to drink from rivers/springs! A purification solution is not even required? (aquatabs or somiliar chemicals)

Thanks for the advice on the starting point. For the way back to Stavanger i was thinking in taking a ferry from Forsand (it seems that ferries from the Kolombus.no company are stopping in this place).

Weather: it's what i thought! I will not take this into account for the dates then.

Good to know for the food. I i don't need to carry water I guess I could carry the food with me :)

Thanks again for answering and sorry again for posting in English

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

That's great to be able to drink from rivers/springs! A purification solution is not even required? (aquatabs or somiliar chemicals)

As long as you dont't drink the water close to residential areas and avoid water from areas with alot of animal droppings you should be just fine without any purification. The water is most likely better quality than most bottle water ;)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks for the advice on the starting point. For the way back to Stavanger i was thinking in taking a ferry from Forsand (it seems that ferries from the Kolombus.no company are stopping in this place).

Weather: it's what i thought! I will not take this into account for the dates then.

Good to know for the food. I i don't need to carry water I guess I could carry the food with me ;)

The problem is getting from the trail end to Forsand. It is about 20 km (?) and no buses, it usualÿ possible to get a ride.

You will find canned food at Langavatn, but there are no shops in Lyseboten, - asmall place where you can get a Hamburger. (and a beer)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks a lot REJOHN, I really appreciate! ;) I didn't realize it was that far. Maybe i could try to hitchhike or in the worst case I will walk :shock:

For the shopping I was planning in bringing some lyophilised food and do some shopping in Stavanger before starting the trek. If it's just food I will be able to pack and carry most of what I will need.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Phaser thank you for the phone number, it is a very good idea!

_OS_ thank you for the suggestion and the "teasing" picture. I saw many pics of this place and it definitely looks like a place to go! The view is breathtaking ;)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

As I can see, you have got some information for your trip, and I think Stavanger Turistforening will be able to supply the rest if you contact them. If you plan to start in Stavanger, taking the ferry to Tau and a bus to Preikestolhytta, you might need some kind of accommodation in Stavanger. If you do not plan to use a hotel or a tent, do not hesitate to ask for help. I live 5 km north of Stavanger and if I am in town, my house will be open.

From the 5th of July I plan to spend two weeks with my family at Island, but present there are no other planes for the summer. Of course I will spend some time hiking in the mountains, but so far I have no specific planes.

I have walked the north side of Lysefjorden two times before, but not the south side.

I know the area around Kierag, Langevatn, Fløyrli to Blåfjellenden and Blåfjellenden to Frafjord quite well from hiking and hunting, and I might be able to give you some advices.

I am a guide, “turleder”, guiding for Stavanger Turistforening, and I was one of two guides that took the first group along the north side, from Jørpeland to Lysebotn.

For your information, if you do not like to walk the road, it is possible to get transport (taxi) from the road east of Fyljesdalsvatn and down to Lysebotn, and from Lysebotn and up to Øygardsstølen. (But it will cost you…) Of course it is possible to walk , but the best way will be along the road.

http://lysebotn-touristcamp.com/

We had a similar discussion some time ago, but it was in Norwegian. Perhaps you can get some info out of it by using Google translate.

https://www.fjellforum.no/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=23965

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Wow thank you REs! This is really kind of you.

I am planning to stay in a hotel in Stavanger before and after the trip at least for one night each time but we could definitely try to meet for a beer if you are in town and have time. Besides, good advices from experienced people are always appreciated! :)

I will check (with google translate) the thread you mention!

Takk så mye!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

If you like to use the “Lysefjorden rundt” card, find the ten codes and get a free T-shirt, you must start from Botneveien and use an extra day up to Preikestolen fjellstue (Preikestolhytta).

http://www.stavanger-turistforening.no/index.php?fo_id=2508

But if you plan to walk from the Preikestolhytta, you can take the bus from Tau and it will take you all the way up to Preikestolen fjellstue. You should pay this hotel a visit. A new hotel, built all from wood and other natural materials without using any nails or metal bolts. (Just Google the name Preikestolen fjellstue and lock at the pictures.)

If you start from the hotel in the morning, you can walk out to the Pulpit rock and further to the first overnight stay at Bakken in about 6 – 7 ours. You do not need an extra day to see the Pulpit. Then the next day you walk to Helmikstølen, about 5km east of Songesand. The third day will be to Lysebotn. This, I think, will be the least interesting part of your trip, but at Lysebotn tourist camp you can have a cold bear and a chat with the lazy people who jump from Kierag, 1000m, instead of walking.

I think the best part will be the south side.

And a little bit about the weather. The weather in this area is very similar to the weather at the west coast of Scotland. A lot of rain and wind.

(You might already read about it, but last weekend four skiers were killed in a blizzard, at Taumevatn, a bit south east of Lysebotn. One still not found.)

Normally there is a period of very good weather in May, Just before or after our national day at the 17th. Then June use to be a good month. In July, especially when the majority of the population has their summer holidays, it can be bad, but then there is a good chance of getting good weather in August and September.

We have a good and reliable weather forecast, but the weather in the mountains is changing very fast and you have to be prepared for the worst even on short trips.

You can check the weather at:

http://www.yr.no/

and

http://www.storm.no/

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi REs, thanks for these advices!

I've read several trip reports about Norway in general and some about Rogaland but I did not find such precise infos about the weather. Thank you very much! I am planning to bring good rain wear and a good tent, I hate sleeping in a soaked sleeping bag...

Unfortunately May and June are not an option for me but I will follow your advice and favor August/beginning of September over July.

The hotel looks really nice, I might try to pass a night there.

I am not sure that the base jumpers are lazy, I would just say crazy ;)

Anyway I prefer walking and hikers really earn their beers! :D

You mentioned that you did the North side a few times and that the Southern part might be the best. Why haven't you tried the Southern part? (no trolls I hope!)

I really appreciate your help and advices.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

We have a lot of hotels in Stavanger, since we like to call us “the Norwegian capital city of oil”. The most of the hotels sure know how to price their services, but some might be quite reasonable.

Low cost alternatives: Stavanger Hostel Mosvangen and a student home that is turned in to a hotel in the summer. And of course we have Mosvangen camping. http://www.nafcamp.no/campingplasser/1801-Stavanger-Camping-Mosvangen

There is no god reason why I do not have walked the south side of Lysefjorden, but I have walked most of the areas on this side for other reasons.

Kierag – Langevatn – Blåfjellenden, Hunting.

Flørli, up the 4444 steps staircase,over the “hills” to Blåfjellenden and down to Frafjord. Guide for tourist groups and a trip with my two sons.

Frafjord – Blåfjellenden – Rösdalen – övre Espedal. Guide for tourist groups.

You might find these places on the map.

If you have enough time, you could stay on the cabin at Flørli and walk the stairs back up. (Don’t walk down the stairs.) It takes about 2 hours. Otherwise, if you don’t want to stay in your tent, you can stay at Flørlistølen, that will save you some time when going back up. (Check with Stavanger Turistforening if Flørlistølen is available.)

To stay at Skåpet you would need a key, and it can be borrowed from Stavanger Turistforening.

I have not seen any trolls in this area, but that don’t mean they are not there. You better talk to the Troll hunter, he might know. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740707/

It would be clever to check out the weather fore cast as well, because some summers can be very good, but others very wet. You never know.

Most of the weather is coming from west and south west direction. The high and low pressures are building up in the Atlantic Ocean. They pass over GB, and continue to the Norwegian coast.

Be prepared to go on short notice.

post-4379-133474742176_thumb.jpg

post-4379-133474742189_thumb.jpg

post-4379-133474742203_thumb.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hey REs,

plenty of good infos again, thank you! Nice pictures too. Walking on these stairs when it rains might be a bit hazardous, it looks pretty stip.

For the weather, my only choice is to pick up the month but I will book my tickets in advance and therefore I cannot really change my plans at the last minute except by shortening the tour if the weather is really bad. I will see and bring a poncho!

It's funny that you mention Troll Jegeren, I watched it 2 weeks ago :) at least I am agnostic so they will have trouble smelling me :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 måneder senere...

You need to rethink the water situation. This year turns out to be a year with a lot of Lemming's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemming They often turn up dead in the water an they can carry rabbit fever. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tularemia ) So i would recomend boiling the water or use other sorts of waterpurifications this year. But it should be rather safe to drink the water if you walk 50m up a stream and don't see any dead Lemming's.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi,

thanks a lot for the advice, I will definitely take some purification tabs and a cooking stove to boil water for the next day.

I just checked the thread about the lemmings on this part of the forum. Some of the purifiers posted seem to be a good solution too.

Takk!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

We have had situations with lemmings like this before without any problems. Normally you can drink the water without any risk, but what is new this year is the rabbit fever. So far nearly 50 parsons have been reported sic this year. Last year we had a total of 21. We expect the risk to increase when the snow and the ice on the lakes are melting and a lot of dead animals might be washed out into the lakes, rivers and creeks. The risk will still be small, but if you like to be on the safe side, I would think that cooking the water will be the safest. I would not trust mechanical cleaning like filtering the water. Bacteria are very small and can easily pass through the finest filters. Some new cleaning equipment are available, but to a very high cost. I think I would prefer boiling.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

We have had situations with lemmings like this before without any problems. Normally you can drink the water without any risk, but what is new this year is the rabbit fever. So far nearly 50 parsons have been reported sic this year. Last year we had a total of 21. We expect the risk to increase when the snow and the ice on the lakes are melting and a lot of dead animals might be washed out into the lakes, rivers and creeks. The risk will still be small, but if you like to be on the safe side, I would think that cooking the water will be the safest. I would not trust mechanical cleaning like filtering the water. Bacteria are very small and can easily pass through the finest filters. Some new cleaning equipment are available, but to a very high cost. I think I would prefer boiling.

No lemings in the aera south of Lysefjorden - no problems with the water...

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Vet du dette ut fra egne erfaringer eller kan du dokumentere det ?

Det spørs hva du mener med erfaring.

Jeg var innover i helga, og så ikke levende eller døde lemen. Ut fra tidligere erfaring, så vil det heller ikke være lemen av betydning i resten av heia.

Jeg kan ikke direkte overføre denne "erfaringen" til nordsiden, for jeg har ikke nok data. (mangler nok lemenår og samtidig ha vært på begge sider av Lysefjorden) til å være sikkert.

På sørsiden har jeg derimot nok "erfaring" til å uttale meg med en stor grad av sikkerhet.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Det høres fint ut :) hvis du ikke så lemen på sørsiden så er det vel tvilsomt at det er ett stort problem på nordsiden. Takk for info forresten ;)

Jeg kan ikke tenke meg at det er stor forskjell rundt fjorden.

Jeg antar at du tenker på vannkvaliteten.

Jeg er normalt svært lite risikovillig. Tar få sjanser og sikrer mest mulig. (Har med satelittelefon og følger T-merket sti når jeg går alene - som i helga)

Men jeg hadde INGEN betenkeligheter med å drikke av vannet i Leiteånå.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Bli med i samtalen

Du kan publisere innhold nå og registrere deg senere. Hvis du har en konto, logg inn nå for å poste med kontoen din.

Gjest
Skriv svar til emnet...

×   Du har limt inn tekst med formatering.   Gjenopprett formatering

Du kan kun bruke opp til 75 smilefjes.

×   Lenken din har blitt bygget inn på siden automatisk.   Vis som en ordinær lenke i stedet

×   Tidligere tekst har blitt gjenopprettet.   Tøm tekstverktøy

×   Du kan ikke lime inn bilder direkte. Last opp eller legg inn bilder fra URL.

• Opprett ny...

Viktig informasjon

Ved å bruke dette nettstedet godtar du våre Bruksvilkår. Du finner våre Personvernvilkår regler her.