Gå til innhold
  • Bli medlem

Hiking around Narvik - snow conditions

Gjest Anonymous

Anbefalte innlegg

Gjest Anonymous

Hi Everyone,

I just discovered this forum, apologies for my English.;)

About a week from now (on the 11th June) I take a plane up from England to Narvik. I'm planning on two weeks walking and at the moment I'm a little worried about the snow that I'm seeing on various web cameras.

My intention for the 1st week in particular is to walk from Beisfjord across to the Kungsleden Trail near to where it passes Kebneskaise and then head back north to Katterjakk. I don't have any intention of climbing any summits but I would like to hear from anyone who could tell me about snow conditions up there.

How much snow is there up at 900m right now? That seems to be the altitude that most paths in the area typically go up to.

Is the snow deep, wet & slushy? Is it nice, frozen and hard - or is it deep soft powder at the moment? The weather forecasts on met.no seem to suggest that it's still frozen high up at around 900m.

Also, how reliable are the bridges? Have bridges been known to be swept away by the snowmelt?

If you're interested, I have reports of previous trips to Norway all here:

http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~anthonyd/norway/

Any information would greatly help my planning

Regards

Anthony Dyer

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse

Hello there,

I am not near Narvik so I cannot give you any personal observations. However, the Norwegian weather service reports ( http://met.no/snokart/ ) that the amount of snow near Narvik is as usual for this time of year, last week there was good melting in the area and according to the snowmap the snow is wet, not dry and compact.

You can try to contact the weather service directly ( [email protected] ) or call the tourist information in Narvik (+47 76 94 33 09) or Destination Narvik at (+47 76 96 04 94).

I am not familiar with the area around Narvik, but I would imagine heading up to 900 metres in june that far north would be to push it. At present I am in Tromsø further north, and there is still snow at 600 metres here, and rotten snow to boot.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Anonymous

Hey Anthony!

Nice to see you on this forum! You're certainly "taking on" the northern parts of Norway.

Just returned from an expedition in Greenland. Working with an extensive trip report now. We got the three highest mountains north of the Polar Circle and a bunch of 1st ascents. And the 1st Telemark descent of Gunnbjørn Fjeld (the highest). Good trip.

Look forward to read your report when you get back.

Talk to you later,

Arnt.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Everyone,

I just discovered this forum, apologies for my English.;)

Also, how reliable are the bridges? Have bridges been known to be swept away by the snowmelt?

I

Anthony Dyer

Bridges do play all kinds of funny games (cf. your own report from

Rondane - and I've seen much worse cases in Sulitjelmafjellene)

and I believe the only way to find out is to contact

NOT.

Their website is: http://www.narvikfjell.no

Press "Lyst å se mer?",

then "Lenker" which gives links to various people

working for NOT. I would try to email Sommerseth or Soleng

or call Narvik og Omegn Turistforening 76 94 37 90,

orTuristkontoret i Narvik 76 94 33 09.

il C.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Bli med i samtalen

Du kan publisere innhold nå og registrere deg senere. Hvis du har en konto, logg inn nå for å poste med kontoen din.

Gjest
Skriv svar til emnet...

×   Du har limt inn tekst med formatering.   Gjenopprett formatering

Du kan kun bruke opp til 75 smilefjes.

×   Lenken din har blitt bygget inn på siden automatisk.   Vis som en ordinær lenke i stedet

×   Tidligere tekst har blitt gjenopprettet.   Tøm tekstverktøy

×   Du kan ikke lime inn bilder direkte. Last opp eller legg inn bilder fra URL.

• Opprett ny...

Viktig informasjon

Ved å bruke dette nettstedet godtar du våre Bruksvilkår. Du finner våre Personvernvilkår regler her.