Gå til innhold
  • Bli medlem

Nordkalottleden, Kautokeino > Abisko

Jonas de Vries

Anbefalte innlegg

Hello guys, hope you don't mind me writing this in English :)

I want to walk the northern part of the Nordkalottleden at the end of August, from Kautokeino to Abisko. I think I've got it pretty much sorted, but I've stll got some questions maybe you guys could help me with...

- There is a supermarket in Kilpisjärvi, I understand. But do they have freezedried food/gas canisters?

- I  understand you can get the DNT key from the customs office near the border with Norway? Or can I get the key somewhere in Kautokeino or Alta? Tried contacting the DNT itself, but they are not too quick with replying...

- I reserved 2x10 days for the trip (10 days to Kilpisjärvi, 10 tot Abikso). Of course walking speed differs from person to person, but do you think that is enough?

Cheers

Jonas

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse

as far as i know, you have to be a member of DNT to get a key, (and pay 100kr extra). Your best bet will be contacting the local branch of DNT in alta or hammerfest and trying to borrow a key from one of its members. Alot of people think that you can stay in the huts for free as a member, this is not true you still have to pay 200-300kr per night(cant rememberr the exact nummber). I whould not go without a tent, not only for the security but also  because the huts bring in other people (the same reason i dont hike on trails where there are dnt huts)

As far as travel goes the nordkalottleden is a (literal) highway, asuming 3km/h will give you a good margin for error, estimate time-line from that and how many hours you think you can hike a day. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Jonas!

Yes, there is a supermarket in Kilpisjarvi, and they do have freeze dried food there. I´m not sure about gas canisters, but you can call/email and ask! :-)

Hope you get a nice trip - I´ve only skiied the whole part (hiked part of it, but not all the way) - and it was amazing. :-) 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks Vikern and Thess!

I do know you need to be a DNT member; turns out I could get the key via the webshop if you are a member so that one is sorted!

Good to know the have feeze-dried stuff in Kilpisjäravi, and I'm sure I can get gas there as well,  if not in the supermarket, then at the petrol station or something. I understand you guys use the screw-on type canisters (Coleman type) in Scandinavia?

Cheers

Jonas

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

10 days from Kilpis to Abisko will be enough if you go from one hut to the next each day. There will be plenty of place in the huts as the norwegian summer holiday has ended at that time of the year. 

You have to be prepared for anything between full summer to snow and slush at that time of the year. 

Look out for the bear!

12017620_1064966513527917_5242488403240570502_o.jpg

Endret av Øuar
  • Liker 2
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

9 hours ago, Jonas de Vries said:

...I can get gas there as well,  if not in the supermarket, then at the petrol station or something. I understand you guys use the screw-on type canisters (Coleman type) in Scandinavia?

Well... to be honest; I think most Scandinavians use what you call the screw-on "Coleman type" -- Lindal valve -- when they hike. BUT, every single petrol station I have ever visited in Norway only has two types: The "Campingaz"-clip-on valve, or the pierce-puncture-idiocy canisters -- and NOT the screw-on types. No (reputable) sports warehouse who actually sells stoves carry any but the screw-on versions, but every petrol station does so exclusively.

Don't ask me why this is so.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Bli med i samtalen

Du kan publisere innhold nå og registrere deg senere. Hvis du har en konto, logg inn nå for å poste med kontoen din.

Gjest
Skriv svar til emnet...

×   Du har limt inn tekst med formatering.   Gjenopprett formatering

Du kan kun bruke opp til 75 smilefjes.

×   Lenken din har blitt bygget inn på siden automatisk.   Vis som en ordinær lenke i stedet

×   Tidligere tekst har blitt gjenopprettet.   Tøm tekstverktøy

×   Du kan ikke lime inn bilder direkte. Last opp eller legg inn bilder fra URL.

• Opprett ny...

Viktig informasjon

Ved å bruke dette nettstedet godtar du våre Bruksvilkår. Du finner våre Personvernvilkår regler her.