Gå til innhold
  • Bli medlem

Winter trip through Breheimen

Cosynook

Anbefalte innlegg

Hello,

I'm currently planning a ski trip through Breheimen in mid April.

Pollfoss seems to be a good starting point but I'm wondering if

the route to Skridulaupbu is feasible as winter route? Is it possible

to go on the artificial lake?

Furthermore, from there on to Slaeom the route crosses a glacier. Is glacier

equipment necessary during this time of the year?

Then going on south from there do you have a recommendation about a

nice route?

Best regards,

Steffen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse
Hello,

I'm currently planning a ski trip through Breheimen in mid April.

Pollfoss seems to be a good starting point but I'm wondering if

the route to Skridulaupbu is feasible as winter route? Is it possible

to go on the artificial lake?

Furthermore, from there on to Slaeom the route crosses a glacier. Is glacier

equipment necessary during this time of the year?

Then going on south from there do you have a recommendation about a

nice route?

Best regards,

Steffen

Skridulaupbu is feasible from Pollfoss yes, but i would instead recommend Grotli as a starting point for this one. Sole reason being that it is prepared tracks and small chances of unpleasent surprises (rotten snow etc.).

The artificial lake, Rauddalsvatnet, has allways been safe, but there has been some major alterations and construction-works connected to a new power plant up there, so i would recommend to contact Skjåk Kommune to be sure.

The glacier has some crevasses from time to time, and under these circumstances i would say equipment is at least recommended. An alternative route is going to the south-east end of the lake and ski the ridge up to Dyringshøi and continue west to Slæom.

Depending on available days, from Slæom i would recommend down to Sota. From here you several alternatives, but in to Holåtindene and Hestbrepiggene is a classic, especially this time of year we are talking about (i will be in this area myself the same period.).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hello Dalegudbrand,

thanx for the prompt info!

You recommended Grotli instead of Pollfoss. But is it feasible to use the summer route down to Raudalsvatnet on Ski? Not too step?

Or is there another route suitable for skiing?

Do you know if the road from Pollfoss to the dam of Rauddalsvatnet is open in April?

Regarding the route onwards from Slaeom: I'm also considering to carry on via Sprongdalshytta, Arentzbu. Then there are 2 options:

1. west via Nordstedalsseter and Krossbu or

2. further south via Fast, Vigdalstöl and Navarsete

Your recommendation via Sota also sounds good but Sota is closed in mid April, right?

Despite that is it possible to drive by car to Sota during this time?

Best regards,

Steffen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hello Dalegudbrand,

thanx for the prompt info!

You recommended Grotli instead of Pollfoss. But is it feasible to use the summer route down to Raudalsvatnet on Ski? Not too step?

Or is there another route suitable for skiing?

Do you know if the road from Pollfoss to the dam of Rauddalsvatnet is open in April?

Regarding the route onwards from Slaeom: I'm also considering to carry on via Sprongdalshytta, Arentzbu. Then there are 2 options:

1. west via Nordstedalsseter and Krossbu or

2. further south via Fast, Vigdalstöl and Navarsete

Your recommendation via Sota also sounds good but Sota is closed in mid April, right?

Despite that is it possible to drive by car to Sota during this time?

Best regards,

Steffen

Dear Steffen!

Some of the locals ski down to Raudalsvatnet, but they might deviate some from the summer-route. My advice is to call Grotli and ask for details.

The road from Pollfoss to Raudalsvatnet is not likely to be open in April, at least not from that side. If you go up from the other side (the valley of Bråtå) it will be better chances, and it is not that far up to the dam (appr. 45 min with skis). This road is also the same one that leads to Sota, so logistically it might be an alternative.

Carrying on by Sprongdalshytta and Arentzbu is also good alternatives, but mind the danger of avalanches in these valleys, especially up to Sprongdalshytta. As for the options listed further i really dont have any qualified knowledge.

Sota is open at Easter, but probably not beyond. But this is now an year-round open road so no problem driving there (the road continues to Mysubytta, but is closed at Sota during winter. Some maps might fool you with this one.)

This area is where West meets East of Norway and the amount of snow varies immensly from year to year, so roads that were open one year might be closed the next, and the other way around, but usually it is guaranteed lots of snow.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Bli med i samtalen

Du kan publisere innhold nå og registrere deg senere. Hvis du har en konto, logg inn nå for å poste med kontoen din.

Gjest
Skriv svar til emnet...

×   Du har limt inn tekst med formatering.   Gjenopprett formatering

Du kan kun bruke opp til 75 smilefjes.

×   Lenken din har blitt bygget inn på siden automatisk.   Vis som en ordinær lenke i stedet

×   Tidligere tekst har blitt gjenopprettet.   Tøm tekstverktøy

×   Du kan ikke lime inn bilder direkte. Last opp eller legg inn bilder fra URL.

• Opprett ny...

Viktig informasjon

Ved å bruke dette nettstedet godtar du våre Bruksvilkår. Du finner våre Personvernvilkår regler her.