Gå til innhold
  • Bli medlem

Sarek / Padjelanta / Rago

Charley

Anbefalte innlegg

Hey,

We'd like to hike across Sarek and Padjelanta to Rago in July. We'd like to hike from Surva via Bierikjavre, Skarja, Guoperhervagge, Algavagge, Mielladno bridge, Allajavre, Staloluokta, Ragohytta to Lakshola.

Unfortunately, I can't find any information concerning trail between Saltoluokta (Arsluokta) and Ragohytta. Has anybody hiked this trail? I only know there is a trail from Storskghytta towards Padjelanta.

Thanks for any information or notice concerning the trail, map, etc. Is the trail marked? I guess no. Are there any bridges or fords on the trail? Of course we need a map of area between Saltoluokta and Ragohytta. Which of the map would be the best.

You can also write suggestions concerning the NP Sarek.

Thanks Charley

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Annonse

Hi,

Your path through Sarek should not be of any trouble unless there is unusually much water around... The bridge across Miellädno is not publicly 'open', it has been under repair for several years now. But, as far as I understand, it is possible to cross it. Otherwise there are boats at Alggajavrre where you might want to go anyway to visit the small chapel in the middle of nowhere.

From Staloluokta or Arasluokta you should get a boat ride across Virihaure since the Duvggejåhkkå that flows from the glacier Blåmannsisen to Virihaure is generally not considered fordable. Padjelanta west of the lakes is really empty of people. I walked here for about one week 2008 without even seeing anyone in the distance...

Then you must find your own path to the lake marked 718 just before the Swedish-Norwegian border where a marked trail starts at the northwestern corner of the lake. That passage between lake 718 down to the border may be difficult in bad weather with limited sight since the trail is not very well marked and there are lots and lots of precipices in all directions here so try to find the trail markings and keep to them. I have some pictures from that area as well on my web page. The trail basically goes across the plateau toward Rr242A and then suddenly veers to the left to follow a ledge down the mountain slope. From the border and further on into Rago the trail is well marked.

Swedish maps: BD10 Sarek, BD9 Padjelanta-Sulitelma

Norwegian map: 2129 I Sisovatnet

Best regards /Pär

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi,

Your path through Sarek should not be of any trouble unless there is unusually much water around... The bridge across Miellädno is not publicly 'open', it has been under repair for several years now. But, as far as I understand, it is possible to cross it. Otherwise there are boats at Alggajavrre where you might want to go anyway to visit the small chapel in the middle of nowhere.

From Staloluokta or Arasluokta you should get a boat ride across Virihaure since the Duvggejåhkkå that flows from the glacier Blåmannsisen to Virihaure is generally not considered fordable. Padjelanta west of the lakes is really empty of people. I walked here for about one week 2008 without even seeing anyone in the distance...

Then you must find your own path to the lake marked 718 just before the Swedish-Norwegian border where a marked trail starts at the northwestern corner of the lake. That passage between lake 718 down to the border may be difficult in bad weather with limited sight since the trail is not very well marked and there are lots and lots of precipices in all directions here so try to find the trail markings and keep to them. I have some pictures from that area as well on my web page. The trail basically goes across the plateau toward Rr242A and then suddenly veers to the left to follow a ledge down the mountain slope. From the border and further on into Rago the trail is well marked.

Swedish maps: BD10 Sarek, BD9 Padjelanta-Sulitelma

Norwegian map: 2129 I Sisovatnet

Best regards /Pär

Hi,

So there isn't no trail north of the Virihaure or Vastenjaure? Does Padjelanta finish on the western side of Virihaure? Does it difficult to find Padjelanta after acrossing the lake? Concerning the boat across the Virihaure who provide this boat? What's about the weather? We're hiking from July 10th till July 30th. I hope it will be better then last year in September when I was hiking Kungsleden :D

Best regards / Charley

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi,

So there isn't no trail north of the Virihaure or Vastenjaure? Does Padjelanta finish on the western side of Virihaure? Does it difficult to find Padjelanta after acrossing the lake? Concerning the boat across the Virihaure who provide this boat? What's about the weather? We're hiking from July 10th till July 30th. I hope it will be better then last year in September when I was hiking Kungsleden :)

Best regards / Charley

You can certainly walk north of Vastenjaure as well via the bridges across Voujatädno at Sallohaure. There is no trail there, but that is also the case all the way throughout Sarek so you must know for certain how to use your maps. As long as you can identify the surrounding mountains for sure, navigation in these areas is generally easy. Padjelanta extends westwards all the way to the Norwegian border, but west of the large lakes there are very few people since it's so far from any trails or road access. Boats are available by the locals in the villages, so you just have to ask around. I have no idea about the cost and there may also be some times (during intensive reindeer herding periods) when they may not be very excited about spending time driving tourists, so the bridges may be a safer bet. Here: http://www.padjelanta.com/en/kommunikationer/sallojaure.asp you can find some phone numbers where you might get a better answer than I can provide.

I have only been in that western area in mid august, so I don't know how much water there is there in mid July. The Hurrejåhkå stream has a reputation of being problematic while there is still snow melting upstream. In Sarek along your proposed route the two streams that may be difficult are Njavvejågåsh right after Suorva (go upstream until it levels out) and Tjågnorisjågåsj just before Skarja (sometimes there is a snowbridge upstream, otherwise go down all the way to Rahpajåhkå). The last one is a glacier stream, so the water level is usually a lot lower early in the morning compared to late afternoon. Generally about the weather it's a big gamble. In particular since the Sarek area is, by far, the rainiest part of Sweden... last year I think I had both rain and sunshine every single day there!

/Pär

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

hej, vi crossed the upper bridge over Miellätno last year, there was a sign not to use it but we dared (and survived) but its of course hard to tell in which state it will be this year. The boats at Alkajaure where in a very bad state last year so if you don't want to go over the upper bridge I should rather follow Miellätno down to Padjelantaleden which also is a very nice tour. The "other side" of Virihaure and Vastenjaure is extremely beautiful, we love it. Just ask around in the village, you will find somebody to help you with the boat trip - but be prepared to wait a day or two in case of bad weather, the sami do not lie to cross the lake if there is "white water". The costs for the trip will be around 400 to 500 crowns, good luck with your beautiful trip, Sigi!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

to pär: Do you have an idea how many days do I need to hike from Lake Virihaure to the Swedish-Norwegian border?

From the bridges across Voujatädno at Sallohaure to the Norwegian border at Rago it's about 40km. If you are really fit and walking with a light pack you could probably do it in a day! I would personally schedule something like 3 days in a quite leisurely tempo (I generally plan for about 10-15km/day when walking off track in 'nice' terrain compared to 20-30km/day on trails in similar terrain). If you like to study flowers, rocks, wildlife or just relax there is probably enough to see on the way to spend a week...

If you take a boat ride to the westernmost part of Virihaure it's about one nice walking day to get into Norway, but in that case I think I would prefer to be dropped off at Javrregasska (the connection point between Virihaure and Vastenjaure) and walk two days from there.

Most of the landscape around here is nice and flat grass plains, the only part that may be difficult is the final descent into Rago if the weather is bad, as I described previuosly.

There is a also really nice spot at Baktegiesjjavrasj (at the NW point of Vastenjaure) with a great view over the lakes where you should plan to put up your tent for a night if you choose to pass by there.

About the boats at Alkajaure I've seen reports that new boats have been transported up there for this season thanks to 'fjällvandrarklubben Skarja' who also takes care of the small chapel at the place.

/Pär

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

to sigi: thanks for the information; I am really looking forward to the landscape western and north of the lakes Virihaure and Vastenjaure

to pär: if we have enough time we would like to hike the "trail" from the bridges across Voujatädno at Sallohaure to the Norwegian border at Rago. We have 17 days for hiking from Suorva to Lakshola. I think itis enough time for this trip, don't it? Also thanks for the information concerning new boats at Alkajaure.

Anyway your webpages are very good source of information. There are a lot of interesting photos and videos. I like this area very much. I think it won't my last visit there.

If you remember for anything imprtant or interesting let me know :shock:

Bye Karel

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi, I agree with paerl, you should put up your tent at this great place north west of Vastenjaure, we tentet there some years ago close to the waterfall and called it the "balcony". And if you like waterfalls as much as I do and are not in a hurry you should walk about 2 kms upphill along Hurrejakka, there is a very beautiful one you should not miss. One question to Karel: I have been to Rago 2 years ago and been reading a lot in the guest book at Storskosvasshytta - there had been hundreds of Czech walkers at this place over the years, for some special reason? Maybe you know? Sigi!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

One question to Karel: I have been to Rago 2 years ago and been reading a lot in the guest book at Storskosvasshytta - there had been hundreds of Czech walkers at this place over the years, for some special reason? Maybe you know? Sigi!

to sigi: Unfortunately, you're right... I've been to Rago 3 years ago and had been reading the same guest book at Storskosvasshytta... There are several reasons for this situation there.

1. Czechs like travelling a lot.

2. There are a lot of travel agencies in Czech that offer trips to Norway. Most of them doesn't go over Trondheim but some of them does. One bus =

40 people so several buses = hunderds people... Personally I hate this kind of travelling! I think you understand me...

3. I think Rago is very popular in Czech, especially among people such as myself. There are a few good travel memories on net from Rago and

generally from Norway. Due this people loking for some information concerning Norway must find it and of course people from travel

agencies, unfortunately...

Karel

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 måned senere...
Hey,

We'd like to hike across Sarek and Padjelanta to Rago in July. We'd like to hike from Surva via Bierikjavre, Skarja, Guoperhervagge, Algavagge, Mielladno bridge, Allajavre, Staloluokta, Ragohytta to Lakshola.

Unfortunately, I can't find any information concerning trail between Saltoluokta (Arsluokta) and Ragohytta. Has anybody hiked this trail? I only know there is a trail from Storskghytta towards Padjelanta.

Thanks for any information or notice concerning the trail, map, etc. Is the trail marked? I guess no. Are there any bridges or fords on the trail? Of course we need a map of area between Saltoluokta and Ragohytta. Which of the map would be the best.

You can also write suggestions concerning the NP Sarek.

Thanks Charley

Hi Charley, hi to everybody

i'm from italy and with a friend we're going to lapland

i found this post and it's really what i needed, because we're planning the same trip, but backwards: starting from rago and ending somewhere in sweden

we'll stay there from the 28 july to the 9 august

i need some infos:

- to charley, when are you going? maybe we can meet over there or we can change fresh informations when you come back

- to everybody:

i don't understand swedish. if there are any other posts in english about this topic in the forum, can you link them?

do i have any possibility to find a boat lift in virihaure or vastenjaure, but from west to east?

can you suggest me other sights or places that i must see in the parks? i want to visti rapa-delta, but i don't know well other beautiful places...

tanks

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Bli med i samtalen

Du kan publisere innhold nå og registrere deg senere. Hvis du har en konto, logg inn nå for å poste med kontoen din.

Gjest
Skriv svar til emnet...

×   Du har limt inn tekst med formatering.   Gjenopprett formatering

Du kan kun bruke opp til 75 smilefjes.

×   Lenken din har blitt bygget inn på siden automatisk.   Vis som en ordinær lenke i stedet

×   Tidligere tekst har blitt gjenopprettet.   Tøm tekstverktøy

×   Du kan ikke lime inn bilder direkte. Last opp eller legg inn bilder fra URL.

• Opprett ny...

Viktig informasjon

Ved å bruke dette nettstedet godtar du våre Bruksvilkår. Du finner våre Personvernvilkår regler her.